Batman Deliverance short film - visual FX made with Blender - UPDATE : MAKING OF

Hi,

The french short film “Batman Deliverance” has just released.

Official description :
"Batman has retired from the superheroes’ stage and Gotham City is plunged into chaos. As Bruce Wayne is getting older and suffering from serious problem drinking, is he going to resist to the Dark Night call for a last fight, a heroic fighting with an awesome adversary? "

I’m credited as visual effects lead and designer/animator 3D.
All the 3D part was made with Blender.
Tracking was made with Syntheyes and PFTrack.
The film was projected in two cinemas of Bordeaux urban area.

Here’s the film :

and here’s some FX sequences showing some shots with and without visual FX.

Thanks for watching.

UPDATE : Here’s a making of in French with an English sibtitles srt file (download the video from vimeo, download the srt file and play the video with its subtitles in a player that can display subtitles e.g. VLC, Totem … etc.)
BATMAN DELIVRANCE MAKING OF.srt

Attachments

awesome.this is just great. good work :slight_smile:

Awesome! Fantastic mood overall.

Awesome! How long did it take to render?

Thanks,

How long did it take to render?

Actually in the film there is only 4 shots with some 3D : the three shots in the second video and the shot when the lights turn off in the empty batcave.

If I remember, I believe that the render times took around one night or a bit more (8 or 10 hours) for for the longest shots.
I started them the evening before go back home and the longest ones finished before midday the next morning.

Beautiful mix between Franck Miller’s point of view and Christopher Nolan !!!
According to me, Sin City render is the best way to tell a Batman’s story.

Chapeau bas pour un travail finement exécuté et un Batman “French Touch” très convainquant.

Hey, that’s really good! Engaging, interesting performance. Really nice.

Hi,
last week an article about Batman Deliverance was posted on blendernation but I can’t succeed posting a comment on this site, a message saying that my comment is awaiting moderation stay displayed at the bottom of my comment all the time.
Not to be able to answer these replies is a bit frustrating so now I’ve decided to post my comment for blendernation on this thread.

Thanks for your replies, here’s a link to the full film :
http://www.vimeo.com/24106650
I posted this video in the blender artists thread but I forget it in this article.
As far as I know this short film is not supposed to become a feature film, it’s a film in itself ; it was made to comunicate about the production company (Atomic Production) and to show its work as well as the the whole team’s one.
All my work was rendered with Blender 2.5 internal renderer but with a lot of post production.
Tracking was not my job on this film, but I know that PFTrack was used for the shots containing only camera tracking (Batcave, street) and Syntheyes was used for the Batmobile shot due to its good object tracking features.
For those of you who can understand french, a making of was released after I wrote this article :
http://vimeo.com/25187301
Perhaps I will post a translation for this video.

Great work. I was just curious on what you used to edit this film?

Thank you.

I was not editor on this film.
The editing was made on Final cut.

i think this guys voice should be dubed over christian bails batman voice.
nice work.

I’ve just complete the translation of the making of video so here’s this making of (every comments about some mistakes are welcome :)).
It’s in French with an English sibtitles srt file (download the video from vimeo, download the srt file and play the video with its subtitles in a player that can display subtitles e.g. VLC, Totem … etc.)
BATMAN DELIVRANCE MAKING OF.srt

thanks for watching